Don’t Ignore These 5 Important Health Signs
From periods to pregnancy, being a woman has its occasional uncomfortable and unique health issues.
Although some symptoms may feel embarrassing, your doctor has heard and seen it all, and wants to know if you have any of the symptoms below.
1. Bleeding between periods. In certain circumstances it is normal for women to have irregular periods and even to bleed between their periods. However, if you experience bleeding when you’re not expecting your period, you should tell your doctor and she will determine if you may need any further testing.
2. Bleeding after sex. This may be an uncomfortable issue to discuss, but bleeding after sex could indicate something more serious, like an infection or even cervical cancer. This symptom should be discussed with your doctor who will perform an exam to take a look at your cervix.
3. Nipple discharge. Unless you are breastfeeding or recently stopped, it is not normal for women to have breast discharge. Your doctor will evaluate you for a possible hormone imbalance or, more rarely, breast cancer.
4. Breast changes. Although recently the recommendations for self breast exams have changed, most doctors still recommend having some “breast awareness.” Meaning a woman should be familiar with her breasts and if she notices a change, like a new lump or dimpling in the skin, she should tell her doctor right away.
5. Changes in vaginal discharge. Most women experience the joy of having daily vaginal discharge that is normally clear or light yellow. If this discharge changes color, starts to smell bad or increases in amount, its time to tell your doctor so that she can check you for infections.